The most effective worker time clocks have strong methods that help a number of clock-in/out choices, have biometric and facial recognition know-how, and supply personalized reporting. Some methods allow workers to clock in or out via an internet site or app. These digital time clocks present customers with higher time-tracking flexibility whereas providing extra superior options, corresponding to GPS-based clock-ins, customizable experiences, and project- or task-based time allocation.
This information thought-about 18 time clock options, every product’s ease of use and time-tracking options, and narrowed the listing right down to our high 5 suggestions.
- Homebase: Finest general for small companies with just one location
- Lathem PayClock On-line: Finest for companies with each in-office and distant workers
- Timelogix: Finest for corporations needing a wall-mounted biometric time clock
- uAttend JR2000: Finest for companies sharing workers throughout departments
- Icon Time TotalPass P600: Finest for companies planning to scale to a most of 500 workers
High Worker Time Clocks In contrast
*The kind of clock-in/out choice varies, relying on the time clock machine.
Notice that every one time clocks on this listing have cellular apps with offline time monitoring that syncs information as soon as your web connection is restored.
Need assistance selecting the very best time clock to make use of to your workers? Reply this three-question quiz and discover one that most closely fits your small business’s wants.
Discover Out Which Time Clock Is Finest For Your Enterprise
Reply this three-question quiz, and we’ll offer you a personalised time clock match
Homebase: Finest General Worker Time Clock
Homebase is perfect for small companies, particularly corporations with one bodily location needing a feature-rich on-line resolution to assist observe worker time, cut back scheduling errors, and course of payroll easily. It offers free time clock software program and worker time clock apps that work on computer systems, tablets, and smartphones.
Other than letting you create workers schedules and seize time entries, it presents group communication, job posting, and applicant monitoring instruments—all for gratis. If you happen to improve to a paid subscription, you’ll be able to entry premium options like geofencing, extra time and late worker alerts, early clock-in prevention, and auto-scheduling.
General, Homebase earned a rating of 4.6 out of 5 in our analysis. It posted scores of 4 and above in most of our standards, with good marks in pricing, reporting, and recognition amongst customers. Time and attendance is the one criterion the place it didn’t charge no less than 4 (scoring solely 3.75). Regardless of monitoring time, PTO, and breaks effectively, Homebase doesn’t have the bodily time clock the opposite suppliers on this listing supply.
Many customers nonetheless admire its time-tracking instruments that make monitoring attendance simple for workers and employers alike. Some, nonetheless, mentioned that its cellular app could be glitchy and masses slowly at instances.
Homebase Standout Options
- Characteristic-rich free choice: Homebase’s free plan is filled with options. You’ll be able to create work schedules, seize and monitor worker attendance, submit jobs, and observe candidates for gratis—supplied you have got just one enterprise location. Solely Homebase has hiring instruments and a free choice, although all of the suppliers besides Icon Time include built-in worker scheduling.
- Per-location pricing scheme: Homebase’s per-location pricing scheme makes it simple so that you can develop your workforce. You don’t need to pay for extra consumer seats, supplied your workers work in the identical location. That is not like the opposite suppliers on this information (besides Icon Time TotalPass P600), which cost month-to-month software program charges per worker.
- On-line worker time clock: With its time clock apps, you’ll be able to flip computer systems, tablets, and smartphones into time-tracking gadgets. The app even works on point-of-sale (POS) methods—a performance that not one of the different suppliers we reviewed have. With Homebase, workers can clock in/out by way of PIN codes and reply screening questions earlier than clocking in. It’s a must to improve to its paid plans if you’d like PTO administration, geofencing, and GPS monitoring instruments. Nevertheless, for those who’re searching for bodily time clocks, we advocate the opposite suppliers right here as they provide wall-mounted time-tracking gadgets.
- Environment friendly time and scheduling instruments: Homebase’s on-line instruments will help you streamline time monitoring and scheduling processes. Its options embrace automated timesheets, every day labor experiences, administrator alerts for late clock-ins and extra time, and a drag-and-drop schedule builder (Icon Time doesn’t have this). It even enables you to allocate hours by job and observe worker time with a number of roles and wage charges.
What Homebase Is Lacking
- Bodily time clock gadgets: As a substitute of bodily time clocks, Homebase presents time clock apps that work on computer systems, smartphones, tablets, and POS methods. If you happen to’re searching for a bodily machine that comes with primary time and attendance software program, we advocate Lathem or Icon Time TotalPass P600.
- A number of clock-in/out choices: Whereas the time clocks of the opposite suppliers on this listing help a number of clock-in/out varieties, Homebase’s time clock apps solely settle for PIN code time entries.
Lathem PayClock On-line: Finest for Firms Needing In-house & Distant Time Clock Choices
Lathem PayClock On-line is a cloud-based worker time clock and time and attendance software program for employers with on-site workers in addition to distant workers who must clock in/out wherever they’re. Staff can clock in/out via a number of gadgets–both via a wall-mounted time clock (with choices for face recognition, fingerprint scan, badge scan, and extra) or by way of on-line software program and cellular app.
Its worker time and attendance system delivers compliance with wage and hour legal guidelines, reduces worker time theft, stops unauthorized extra time, and offers detailed info on labor hours for reporting. Moreover, Lathem PayClock On-line presents pay-as-you-go pricing plans with no long-term contracts, in addition to limitless help with none set-up charges.
General, Lathem PayClock On-line scored 4.3 out of 5 in our analysis. A rating of 4 or increased was earned in practically each class (reputation, reporting, safety, and ease of use), aside from pricing (as a result of lack of a free plan) and time and attendance performance (as a result of lack of PTO and break monitoring and incapability to allocate hours by job code). The software program excelled in its means to offer customizable reporting, a number of clock-in/out choices, integrations with payroll software program, and offline clocking choices.
Lathem PayClock On-line Standout Options
- Number of clock-in/out choices: Whether or not your workers clock-in/out at your workplace or whereas working remotely, Lathem PayClock On-line presents a number of choices for clocking in/out—utilizing an organization badge, facial recognition, fingerprint, net punch, cellular app, and extra. Every technique has built-in safety to get rid of buddy punching, streamline worker scheduling, and enhance payroll reporting.
- Integration with payroll software program: Lathem PayClock On-line simply integrates along with your payroll processing software program, together with QuickBooks, ADP, Paychex, and extra. This integration makes it easy to file clock-in/out info throughout the software program and simply add it to your payroll software program system, making processing payroll fast and environment friendly.
- In depth reporting capabilities: As one among solely two suppliers on our listing with an ideal rating for reporting (Homebase is the opposite), Lathem PayClock On-line presents practically 50 customary experiences. Its experiences could be for the group as a complete or by worker and canopy payroll, attendance, scheduling, and administration, amongst different classes.
What Lathem PayClock On-line Is Lacking
- Free plan: Whereas Homebase presents a free plan for small companies with just one location, with Lathem PayClock On-line you need to pay for his or her software program and time clock gadgets with both their customary or enterprise month-to-month plans. Nevertheless, Lathem does supply a 15-day free trial to permit companies time to find out if the software program and time clocks are proper for them.
- Monitoring capabilities: Lathem PayClock On-line doesn’t permit you to observe break or paid time without work hours inside its system. For the sort of monitoring, we advocate Homebase. One other disadvantage is the shortcoming to allocate hours recorded by job code (Homebase, Timelogix, and uAttend all do that).
Timelogix: Finest for Manufacturing Firms & Warehouses Needing a Wall-mounted Biometric Time Card Machine
For companies corresponding to manufacturing amenities and warehouses that choose a bodily worker time clock in lieu of a software program app, Timelogix presents wall-mounted machines with versatile clock-in/out choices. It helps a number of time entry varieties—from RFID playing cards and fingerprint scans to facial recognition and PIN codes. Not like Lathem PayClock On-line, which prices a month-to-month or annual payment to make use of their time clocks, Timelogix time clocks are paid for up entrance with a one-time payment.
Apart from bodily worker time clocks, it offers a cloud-based time and attendance resolution, which incorporates workers scheduling, on-line timesheet modifying, and cellular apps with GPS clocking performance. It could additionally deal with limitless places and directors, plus you get limitless help and information internet hosting.
If you need a fairly priced worker time clock with a wise card, fingerprint biometrics, and PIN code time seize capabilities, then the Timelogix TL200 is an efficient choice. Notice, nonetheless, that it’s essential pay a one-time payment to buy the unit and month-to-month charges to make use of Timelogix’s cloud-based system.
General, Timelogix scored 3.65 out of 5 in our analysis of greatest worker time clocks. It earned an ideal rating in safety and excessive marks (4 and above) in time-tracking performance given its extra time and break-tracking instruments, alerts, and a number of clock-in/out choices to assist stop buddy punching and time theft. Nevertheless, its restricted report customizability and the dearth of a free plan prevented it from rating increased on this listing. Plus, it isn’t as popularly rated as Homebase or Lathem, with many Timelogix customers complaining about occasional app glitches and poor buyer help.
Timelogix Standout Options
- A number of time clocks: Apart from time clock apps with geolocation options that work on iOS and Android gadgets, Timelogix presents bodily time clocks, which could be mounted on partitions. Its machines have built-in Wi-Fi, touch-screen shows, and an offline mode that saves time entries to its inner reminiscence if the web goes down and sends all the information to the software program as soon as the connection has been restored.
- Safe clock-in/out choices: Not like Homebase, which solely accepts PIN code clock-ins/outs, Timelogix’s time clock machines help facial recognition, fingerprint scans, PIN codes, and RFID card faucets.
- Time and attendance administration: With Timelogix’s time and attendance software program, you’ll be able to view worker time entries in actual time, edit digital timesheets, set guidelines for extra time and breaks, and choose the time gadgets from which workers can clock in/out. Nevertheless, like a lot of the methods on this listing (besides Icon Time), you need to pay month-to-month charges to entry its time and attendance resolution.
- Worker scheduling: Along with creating worker work shifts, you’ll be able to assign a mission, job, or location to a schedule. Timelogix even enables you to handle “out of shift” time, permitting you to approve or disapprove further minutes that your workers labored earlier than and after their scheduled shifts.
What Timelogix Is Lacking
- Free plan: Not like Homebase, it doesn’t have a free plan for its time-tracking software program. You could need to contemplate Icon Time TotalPass P600 for those who don’t need to pay month-to-month charges for a time and attendance resolution since its time clock machine comes with free software program. If you happen to’re nonetheless undecided on which period clock to make use of, test our free time card calculator, which will help calculate the whole hours your workers labored in per week. Or, you should use our free downloadable timesheet templates to trace worker hours.
- Robust report customization: Whereas Timelogix enables you to create customized experiences by deciding on pre-identified information ranges, you’ll be able to’t add your individual information fields to additional personalize experiences. For strong reporting instruments, we advocate Homebase or Lathem.
uAttend JR2000: Finest for Firms Sharing Staff Throughout Departments
uAttend presents wall-mounted worker time clocks that help a number of clock-in/out choices. Your workers may even observe inter-departmental jobs and submit division switch requests immediately from the unit, making it best for corporations assigning workers to a number of departments all through the day or pay interval.
Its JR2000 time clock can seize worker attendance by way of PIN code entries, biometric fingerprint scans, and RFID card faucets. It even has built-in Wi-Fi, permitting seamless transfers of worker time information from the time clock into uAttend’s cloud-based software program. What’s additionally nice about this machine is that it has a large touch-screen show, permitting you and your workers to simply see time clock particulars and arrange system controls.
Scoring 3.35 out of 5 in our analysis, uAttend posted rankings of three and above in practically all of our standards, with good marks in time and attendance functionalities. It posted low scores in reporting (has restricted report customizability) and pricing (its month-to-month software program charges are pricier than the opposite suppliers on this listing). Nonetheless, many customers like that it’s simple to arrange and use with versatile clocking choices and good buyer help. Nevertheless, others mentioned that its biometric scanner is sluggish to acknowledge fingerprints at instances.
uAttend JR2000 Standout Options
- A number of clock-in/out choices: Its JR2000 mannequin helps RFID ID, fingerprint, and PIN code time entries and connects by way of Wi-Fi or LAN. uAttend additionally presents a variety of bodily worker time clocks that help a number of clock-in/out choices—from facial recognition to fingerprint scans.
- Division transfers immediately from the time clock: You probably have workers who work throughout departments, they’ll observe jobs and request division transfers immediately from uAttend JR2000. Not one of the different worker time clock suppliers on this listing have this performance.
- Useful setup wizard: Like Icon Time TotalPass P600, you’ll be able to simply get uAttend’s time clock up and operating through the use of its self-guided setup wizard. The information is intuitive and solely requires an web connection so that you could pair the machine along with your on-line uAttend account, arrange the time zone, after which begin utilizing the time clock.
What uAttend JR2000 Is Lacking
- Sturdy integration choices: uAttend solely connects with QuickBooks Desktop, whereas the opposite suppliers combine with a number of third-party software program.
- Customizable experiences: uAttend offers real-time experiences, however the customization choices are restricted. You additionally need to pay further if you wish to export experiences in file codecs aside from CSV. If it is a dealbreaker, you then would possibly need to contemplate Homebase or Lathem.
Icon Time TotalPass P600: Finest for Small Employers Planning to Scale to a Most of 500
With Icon Time TotalPass P600, you get a time clock that may deal with as much as 500 workers. This makes it a really perfect resolution for small companies with plans to scale. Other than onsite time monitoring, it has an online punch performance that lets your workers clock in/out from tablets, smartphones, and computer systems—supplied an web connection is offered.
Not like Timelogix and uAttend, you don’t must obtain and set up a timekeeping system to make the time clock work, as Icon Time TotalPass P600 has primary time-tracking software program constructed proper into the unit. As well as, you don’t need to pay month-to-month charges to make use of the system. You solely must buy the unit, plus non-compulsory add-ons for proximity playing cards, net punch licenses, and buyer help.
General, Icon Time Whole Cross P600 scored 3.15 out of 5 in our analysis, with excessive marks in ease of use and consumer reputation. Nevertheless, it doesn’t have break monitoring, early clock-in prevention, and strong report customization instruments. These limitations prevented Icon Time from rating increased on our listing.
When it comes to consumer evaluations, many like that it’s simple to arrange and use environment friendly instruments to automate time-tracking processes. In the meantime, some are sad with the occasional software program glitches and expensive time clocks.
Icon Time TotalPass P600 Standout Options
- Free software program entry: In comparison with the three different bodily time clock suppliers on this information, Icon Time doesn’t cost month-to-month charges for its primary time and attendance software program. You additionally don’t must obtain its system individually because it’s constructed immediately into the time clock.
- Net punches: Icon Time TotalPass P600 is the one bodily time clock on our listing that helps net punches, permitting you to pick workers who may also clock in/out by way of an online browser. Nevertheless, for those who choose a digital time clock, contemplate Homebase since its time clock apps work on computer systems and cellular gadgets.
- Sturdy electronic mail alerts: What makes Icon Time’s electronic mail alert operate stand out from the remainder of the suppliers right here is the kind of notifications that it sends. Apart from clock-in/out alerts, it notifies you of workers approaching every day, weekly, and consecutive extra time. You too can create alerts for high and low work hours, together with notifications for software program updates and information backup reminders.
What Icon Time TotalPass P600 Is Lacking
- Biometric fingerprint scans: Whereas Icon Time TotalPass P600 helps clock-ins/outs made via RFID faucets, net punches, and PIN code entries, the machine doesn’t settle for fingerprint scans. For these searching for biometric time clocks, contemplate another suppliers on this listing (besides Homebase).
- Sturdy information base: Other than a number of video tutorials and on-line product brochures showcasing a few of its time clocks’ options, Icon Time doesn’t have many assist articles posted on its web site. If you happen to’re searching for one thing that gives articles, then Homebase is an efficient choice.
How We Evaluated Worker Time Clocks
Apart from pricing and ease of use, we seemed for important options like time seize choices, break and PTO monitoring, and reporting instruments. Then, we rated every based mostly on the next standards:
Time and attendance functionalities
20% of General Rating
We checked if the supplier has a free plan and clear pricing for its paid tiers. We additionally thought-about the price of subscriptions and gave these priced $10 or much less per worker month-to-month further factors. Solely Homebase has a free choice, however this covers only one enterprise location. For bodily time clocks, Icon Time TotalPass P600 is fairly priced because you solely need to pay for the machine. With uAttend and Timelogix, you need to pay month-to-month software program charges and a one-time machine payment.
20% of General Rating
The most effective worker time clock consists of primary instruments, corresponding to exportable time information, a number of time clock varieties, break and PTO monitoring, and administrator alerts. Plus, accessing cellular apps and a self-service portal can also be best. uAttend CB4000 acquired good marks right here, whereas Icon Time TotalPass P600 scored the bottom.
20% of General Rating
20% of General Rating
Having a time clock and time-tracking software program which might be intuitive and straightforward to be taught is a necessity. We additionally checked out whether or not the supplier presents stay cellphone help, coaching, fast system implementations, and integration choices with payroll, POS, and scheduling methods.
10% of General Rating
We checked evaluations that precise customers left on third-party websites like G2 and Capterra. Homebase acquired an ideal score right here, with Timelogix in final place given its 2.5 out of 5 rating.
*Percentages of general rating
Incessantly Requested Questions
What’s the greatest app for workers to clock out and in?
The most effective time clock app does extra than simply enable your workers to clock out and in from their cellular gadgets–it can permit you to ship and approve PTO requests, create schedules, submit jobs, file bills, and observe places. Our high picks embrace Homebase, Clockify, and After I Work. Study extra in our Finest Worker Time Monitoring Apps article.
How do you utilize a time card machine?
Every time card machine or software program has a singular manner to your workers to clock out and in. Some use a punch technique the place the worker will place a chunk of paper into the time card machine that information the day and time of the punch. Others use biometric information, corresponding to a fingerprint or facial recognition to clock the worker out and in. Some software program, corresponding to Icon Time Whole Cross P600, makes use of a pin pad the place workers enter their distinctive pin code to clock out and in.
The entire choices we reviewed on this information would work nicely for a small enterprise. They will help enterprise homeowners and their HR groups effectively handle workers. Our high choose for worker time clocks is Homebase, because it offers single-location companies with a free on-line time clock to make use of that features timekeeping, scheduling, and hiring instruments. Begin monitoring your workers’ work time without cost.